We always love to be in a society that is clean and green. We all are advocates for a neat and clean society, pollution free environment; but how many of us do actually make an effort for that. Ask yourself? None of us would prefer to live in a dirty surrounding, there is hardly anyone who does not complains about unattended garbage, open manholes, filthy society and civic agencies not being prompt in their duties. It’s true that civic agencies are responsible for taking care of our society but it’s also important that we must realize our responsibilities to our society and environment; and do our share.
Shrugging off our shoulders of the litter and dirt, cursing the government and civic agencies is not entirely right. Living in the society, being a part of the environment, we too have a moral responsibility to contribute to the environment we are breathing in. Understand the situation with parties that you host at your home. When couple of guests visits your home, especially kids, definitely the house gets mismanaged and littered. The question is do we walk away blaming the guest and leave the house as it is; or we do get irritated, but clean the house and get it back into shape. Same should be our attitude and responsibility for our society, city and environment as well. Contribute your share!
Here are few easy and effective tips which will help us in keeping our society clean:-
1) Be the change that you want to see in others: We always complain about the things and processes that have not been taken care of… Most of the time we ourselves don’t follow them. The first thing that is needed to be done is to change ourselves into the person we want others to be. Why wait for other to do the right things, take initiative and lead the way.
2) Don’t litter: Please don’t litter in your society and/or roads. Set a good example. Use dustbins, it will help in keeping the society clean. If society is plagued by litter then consult with your society members, president and other authorities in order to organize an awareness camp. Work with them and volunteers to clean the litters.
3) Don’t dispose garbage in open areas: Use dustbin or other means for dumping the waste material. People even in urban areas are seen throwing the waste on road or around open park areas. By organizing awareness camp you can help them in understanding the importance of using dustbin.
4) Plant trees/Adopt trees: You should plant trees in your society or you can also adapt any tree and take care of that. Trees will help in controlling the pollution atleast a little bit. Having lots of trees in your society will help you have fresh air for you and your kids, balanced rainfall, and with a beautiful green society you will inspire others to follow the track and save the city and environment.
5) Proper storage of water: Water is the most important part of life. Excess or deficit, both, of water not only makes us cry, but can lead to severe damages as well. Proper storage of water can help us combat many problems. We should try to store rain waters; with proper arrangements and help of society members we can utilize them for future usage. Water logging around the society if not managed leads to mosquito breeding which can cause various disease like Dengue, malaria, chickengunia etc.
6) Be real eco-friendly: Don’t just talk about eco-friendly concepts and principles, abide by them. Use herbals colors in Holi; avoid using crackers on Diwali; do not dump e-waste (worn out electrical equipments, gadgets, etc.) or plastic waste; avoid using vehicles for short distances, instead walk or use a bicycle; do not overcharge your mobile batteries, charge only when the battery drains out.
If you have any more suggestions and ideas, do share with us and we will include them in our ‘Help the Society’ list.